Bachelors in Management Studies is one of those courses that promise a bright career in business. It opens up a world of opportunities for your career growth. Being a generalized course in management, BMS gives the room to choose a specialization after you’re done with the course.
You can either go the traditional way and choose to do your MBA after BMS or tread off the beaten path and get into a digital marketing program, business analytics course, etc. It’s a sought-after degree in any case that can help you branch off into a number of professions related to management.
If you’re sure about getting into the management aspect of business, you can go right ahead with a BMS after your 12th. This degree option has a lot of demand in the corporate world due to the wide application and exponential growth of operations requiring managers to handle them.
Management has evolved more as an administrative aspect of the business from the science it was once thought of as. From an operational and administrative perspective, Henry Fayol’s 14 principles of management in the management theory will aid you greatly whichever career path you choose after BMS.
These principles are:
- Division of Work involves distinguishing employees by their specialization, experience, and skillset to find a segment where they perform the best.
- Authority and Responsibility mean that a proper chain of command must be followed to ensure direction and alignment of business processes with company goals.
- Discipline is a key aspect of professionalism. Employees are expected to abide by core values and principles set by management.
- Unity of Command must be followed which means thatstreamlining company hierarchy is important to achieve accountability. An employee will generally be reporting to one manager to avoid confusion arising from mixed commands.
- Unity of Direction is achieved when business processes are aligned to the same objectives across vertices and within teams.
- Subordination of Individual Interest is beneficial to achieving optimized outcomes from business processes.
- Remuneration of employees must be sufficient and be reflective of their position and responsibilities within the organization.
- The Degree of Centralization is important to achieve unified command and direction as the employees must be following management’s directives to achieve company goals.
- Scalar Chain is the type of management structure or hierarchy followed within an organization.
- Order is a responsibility of the manager so they can ensure that employees have all the necessary resources at their disposal.
- Equity has to be distributed across the organization in order to make everyone is treated fairly and impartially.
- Stability of Tenure of Personnel is essential to the smooth functioning of any company. The right people with the right experience must be placed appropriately within the company.
- Initiative taken by employees to introduce new ideas and innovation must be rewarded and encouraged by the management.
- Esprit de Corps meaning group morale must be high at all times. After all, people make an organization and they cannot do their best in a toxic work environment.
These principles will aid you in your career no matter what you choose to do with your management degree. Whether you decide to educate yourself further or go on a job hunt right away, there are several options to choose from.
Academics After BMS
MBA is one of the most sought-after degrees for management studies pass-outs. You will usually have to prepare for an entrance exam like CAT to get into a good MBA program. You can consider several specializations like finance, marketing, human resources, business analytics, etc.
MMS stands masters of management studies and it becomes an obvious choice for BMS pass outs to deepen their management knowledge and get better job opportunities.
PGD in Management is similar to an MBA course but it’s shorter in tenure. This one-year course is challenging as an MBA and you will have to clear an entrance examination to get admission.
Professional Courses – You can also consider professional courses like digital marketing, AI and machine learning, business analytics, data science, etc to get into rapidly advancing industries and specializations in technology. You can get a PG certification in Data Science, Blockchain, Product Management, Business Analytics, Digital Marketing, and many more.
Job Options After BMS
Marketing Manager – Most companies have a dedicated marketing department that oversees marketing campaigns and sales. You can get into the department and slowly work up the ladder to senior management. This position is always in high demand as marketing becomes more advanced with machine learning and data science. Strong people skills are necessary to become an efficient marketing manager.
Project Manager – Project management is a crucial aspect of software development. It requires a professional to oversee business processes and personnel and ensure that everything is working smoothly within the production team. This position will require you to know the in and out of the project and see it through completion. Being an executive-level position, being a project manager will need you to have some level of experience and special skills.
Human Resources Manager – There will always be a demand for HR managers as hiring and managing personnel is a part and parcel of business. HR managers see to it that the employees of the organization are being treated fairly and their rights are maintained. They also register complaints and resolve conflict within teams and employees. They are responsible for bridging the gap between management and employees. Hence strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence are important qualities of an HR manager.
Finance Manager – How could they get anything done in a cost-effective manner without a finance manager? These managers bring financial management skills and strategies to the table and are responsible for overseeing the management of finances within the organization and employees.