Introduction: Congratulations on your new windows! Proper maintenance and care will not only extend their lifespan, but also keep them looking and functioning their best. Here are some tips from a windows company on how to maintain and care for your new windows:
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning and maintaining your windows. Different types of windows have different recommendations, so it’s important to follow the specific guidelines for your windows.
- Keep the tracks and hardware clean. Dust, dirt, and debris can build up in the tracks and hardware, causing your windows to stick or not open and close properly. Regularly cleaning these areas will help ensure smooth operation.
- Check for and fix any damages or issues promptly. Small issues, such as a broken seal or a small crack, can quickly turn into bigger problems if left unchecked.
- Consider weatherstripping and caulking. Adding weatherstripping around your windows can help reduce drafts and improve energy efficiency. Similarly, caulking around the edges of your windows can help prevent water damage.
- Consider professional window cleaning. Depending on the type of windows you have, you may want to consider hiring a professional to clean them. For example, certain types of windows may require special cleaning solutions or equipment to avoid damaging the surface.
- least once a month. Look for any signs of damage, such as cracks, chips, or peeling paint, and address them as soon as possible.
- Protect your windows from extreme temperatures. Excessive heat or cold can cause your windows to expand or contract, which can lead to damage. To protect your windows, try to keep them out of direct sunlight, and consider adding window coverings to help insulate your home during extreme temperature changes.
- Use caution when opening and closing your windows. Be gentle when opening and closing your windows, and avoid forcing them if they are sticking or not operating smoothly. Forcing a stuck window can cause damage to the tracks, hardware, or glass.
- Lock your windows when closed. Locking your windows when they are closed helps keep them secure and prevents them from being forced open by burglars or strong winds.
- Consider adding window treatments. Window treatments, such as blinds or curtains, can help protect your windows from the sun’s damaging UV rays, as well as add an extra layer of insulation to your home.
Conclusion: By following these tips, you can help ensure that your new windows stay in good condition for years to come. If you have any concerns or questions about the maintenance and care of your windows, don’t hesitate to reach out to a professional windows company for advice. Additionally, if you need help with the initial installation of your new windows, be sure to check out our guide on window installation.