Do you feel conscious of your misaligned and crooked teeth? Invisible braces are a great solution that looks natural and gives you straighter-looking teeth. If you’re suffering from crooked, misaligned teeth and looking for a solution, we have got you covered. In this article, we will highlight invisible braces, their types, how invisible braces work and more. Let’s dive in!
What are Invisible Braces?
Invisible braces, also known as clear aligners, are a dentistry treatment which straightens your teeth and gives an aesthetically pleasing smile. They are an alternative to traditional braces with wires and brackets. Since they are invisible, you can smile confidently, even in public gatherings and social events.
Types of Invisible Braces
Invisible braces are major teeth straightening appliances which are invisible or transparent. Their primary aim is to treat misaligned teeth and give them a straighter look. There are three different types of invisible braces. These include:
1. Lingual Braces
Similar to traditional braces, lingual braces are metal braces which are fixed on the back side of your teeth. These are used to treat gapped teeth, severely crowded teeth, underbite and overbite conditions.
Invisalign is a popular teeth straightening treatment which progressively moves your misaligned teeth into an ideal position, offering a straight smile. Generally, one needs to put Invisalign for 12-30 months to see effective results.
3. Ceramic Braces
Famously known as clear braces, ceramic braces are orthodontic tools which straighten misaligned teeth and fix bite and speech issues. These are custom-made and attached to your teeth to fix them.
How Invisible Braces Work?
Invisible braces are attached to your misaligned teeth and work by gradual push and pull into the desired position, giving an aesthetically pleasing smile. Here is the step-by-step process of how invisible braces work:
1. Initial consultation: Firstly, a consultation is conducted with your dentist or an orthodontist who understands your condition. During the visit, they thoroughly check your teeth, conduct a digital scan, make an impression and discuss the treatment goal in detail.
2. Digital Treatment Planning: Once the digital impression of your teeth is taken, a 3D model is prepared digitally. It gives a clear idea of the teeth’ movements throughout the process.
3. Custom Aligner: Based on the tailored treatment plan, customized aligners are prepared to match your needs. Every alignment is made with the aim of gradually moving your teeth to the desired position.
4. Wearing the Aligners: Once the aligners are ready, you will wear them for pre pre-decided period, usually around two weeks and 22 hours a day, to see effective results.
5. Progressive Changes: With time and changes in the aligners, your teeth will gradually come to their natural position. Over the period of 12 to 18 months, your teeth will be perfectly aligned.
6. Orthodontic Checkups: Regular checkups will be conducted every month to check the progress of your teeth. Based on the progress, further treatment is planned. During these checkups, your dentist may use composite bonding to enhance your teeth’ appearance.
Who Can Have Invisible Braces?
If you are considering getting invisible braces, it is not meant for everyone. Here is the list of people who can get invisible braces:
- People who have biting or chewing problems
- People who have fairly straightforward crowding
- People who suffer from misaligned teeth
- People who have felt conscious about wearing traditional braces
Benefits of Invisible Braces
Here are the top 10 benefits of choosing invisible braces:
- Invisible braces are naturally invisible and custom-made for you.
- These are designed to provide maximum comfort.
- Invisible braces are easier to clean, adjust and remove as compared to traditional braces.
- You can remove your braces during eating, brushing, drinking and flossing.
- Oral hygiene becomes easier.
- You can drink or eat anything, as invisible braces are removable.
- Most dental insurance plans cover these.
- There is no need to visit your dentist regularly.
- Enhance comfort for sports and other activities.
- Improved chewing and speech ability.
How Much Does It Cost for Invisible Braces?
In the United States, the cost of getting invisible braces ranges somewhere between USD 540 to USD 6061. The condition of your teeth and the overall treatment procedure highly determine its cost. In case you have insurance coverage that covers invisible braces, it becomes easier to manage the cost.
5 Things You Must Know Before Trying Invisible Braces
Here are the top 5 things to know before getting invisible braces:
- You need to wear invisible braces for a minimum of 22 hours a day to see effective results.
- At first, wearing invisible braces can be wired. However, you get used to it with time.
- Oral hygiene becomes your priority if you are getting invisible braces.
- Getting invisible braces is an affordable and cost-effective treatment option.
- After every meal, you will need to brush and floss your teeth to kick out all the bacteria.
Q.1 What are the signs that you need invisible braces?
Here are the signs that you need invisible braces:
- Difficulty in brushing and flossing
- Crowded, crooked and misaligned teeth
- An open bite
- Gaps between the teeth
- Difficulty in speaking, biting and chewing
Q.2 What are the advantages of choosing invisible braces over traditional braces?
Here are the advantages of choosing invisible braces over traditional braces:
- Invisible braces are almost invisible, whereas traditional braces feature metal wires and brackets that are visible.
- Invisible braces can be removed during eating, drinking and brushing. In the case of traditional braces, it is not possible.
- Since invisible braces do not contain metal brackets or wires, there is no discomfort or chance of cuts or bruises.
- In the case of invisible braces, there is little to no risk of breakage, reducing the need for emergency appointments.
- In case you have a dental crown, you can still get invisible braces.
Q.3 My teeth are heavily misaligned. For how long will I have to wear invisible braces?
If your teeth are heavily misaligned, it can take somewhere between 12 to 24 months to get the desired result. Based on the complexity of the condition, the period may change.
Q.4 I am addicted to alcohol. Can I drink alcohol if I have invisible braces on?
No, if you have invisible braces on, you cannot drink alcohol. However, if you are above 21 years of age and do not have invisible braces, you can have it once in a blue moon. Everyday or regular drinking is strictly prohibited.
Q.5 What lifestyle changes to make after getting invisible braces?
Some lifestyle changes include:
- Cleaning and flossing after every meal.
- Wearing clear aligners or invisible braces 22 hours a day.
- Avoiding smoking and drinking altogether.
- Limiting drinks and beverage intake
Invisible braces are a popular way of getting straighter-looking teeth without feeling conscious. It gives the desired results within 12 to 18 months at an affordable cost. This article discusses invisible braces in detail.